Sunday, September 23, 2012

Fishbone!

Hello fellow writers.  I titled this piece “Fishbone” because for homework one day last week we had to read a story and complete this “fishbone” thing.  I was like whhhattt??  Fishbone?  And not to mention the title of the story we had to read was, “How to Tame a Wild Tongue.”  I thought to myself, “Well, I

So, some background information on the fishbone… The middle piece was to write what we thought the main argument the author was trying to convey, on the bones extending from the body we had to write the main points and on the last piece of bone we had to write our personal response.  I was like okay this sounds good let’s get to work on this thing!

 
The first part of the story was really funny and easy to follow, but as the girl went on it got more confusing.  There was so much Spanish in it and I do not know how to read Spanish!  I feel like she just kept dragging her story on and on, when she could’ve got her point out in a much more condensed form.  My understanding of the text was that she was describing all the different forms and difficulty of the many languages and how she has a certain accent to conform to her current location.  I can relate to this in a way because I know that I talk differently to my parents and grandparents than I do with my friends.   I have to watch what I say and how I say things with one of my best friends from New York because she says things a lot different than I do.  During the class discussion this topic came up and Lacy asked us if there is ONE right form of English.  I think that there is not just one right way and it varies with your culture.  Everyone has different accents and ways to say stuff I just think a lot of it has to do with what and how you were raised to speak. 

So, my question to you is: can you really “Tame a wild tongue?” 

9 comments:

  1. Hey Arin,

    I to share your opinion on the concept of whether or not there is ONE correct form of the english language. I think there are many variations of the english language just like any other language and whichever variation you choose to speak is the form you think is the ONE correct form. I brought this up in the class discussion the other day.... I also thought the text was a little bit hard to understand, the spanish parts were confusing for me to. I look forward to reading next weeks post..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Arin; I like your fishbone! In response to your question, "Is it possible to 'tame a wild tongue?'" I would say yes. Wouldn't you agree that we train ourselves to speak certain ways around certain people? We train our tongues to speak with respect for our parents and we train ourselves to speak as casually as possible around our peers. You also mentioned different accents, and I agree that these are founded in your family background and how you were raised, but we have the ability to alter these too. Our speech is always changing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Arin, I like how you ended with a question... so hmmm...I think institutions (schools included) particularly try to tame wild tongues. And sometimes I think school might successfully erase a lot of a person's linguistic heritage. And it seems totally sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I can relate with you when you talked about how you are careful with your speech when talking to your New York friend. I have family from up north, and they don't understand "ya'll" and other southern terms. I think accents are interesting and it's cool to figure out where someone's from just from how they speak! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think its possible to "tame a wild tongue" and I also don't think you should try to. People always believe that there is a right and wrong way to do everything, but that is not true. I believe that in some situations there are grey areas. I think that is one thing that we have to understand!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Arin!!! I love your comparisons and confusion too. I felt the same way. Although I am half hispanic, I do NOT understand it and I was pretty lost during the small portions of spanish. I like that you asked our opinion and openedhe door for conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post because I thought so much about this story. I couldn't read much of the spanish either but I liked the context of the story. I mean other people from across the US have different accents, and speak english differently. Someone from Mississippi wouldn't talk like someone from Maine. It doesn't mean either one of them are stupid or wrong. They just grew up somewhere where they talk different then whatever we might be use to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Arin!
    I also noticed that I talk different around different groups of people, my parents, my grandparents, my friends, my co-workers, ect. Sometimes it seems as if I'm almost a completely different person to different people. Like my parents and grandparents don't know things about me that my friends do and I always talk more 'proper' and southern around them so I'm sure they see me in a completely different light than my friends do. Another thing I noticed is that after spending a lot of time around some people, I start to talk just like them haha it's weird. But I really like your blog and especially this post! All the connections you made were great!

    ReplyDelete