Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Blog 1. Theme for English B


Last week on August 23, 2012, my English teacher presented us with a poem called, “Theme for English B.”  As soon as I saw it was a poem I wanted to pull my hair out.  I cannot stand poems.  She told us to read through the poem and write in our daybooks what comes to mind as we read.  So, I open up my daybook, with a sigh, and get started, on what I hope will be as painless of an experience as possible.

As I look back at my writing in my daybook, I find that all I talked about was how I can relate this poem to myself.  Hughes talks about how he feels like an outcast in the world.  For me, I sometimes feel out of place at home, in school, and in public.  I feel like because I am short and do not look my age at all that people see me differently.  I constantly walk around with my head down and my confidence low because I feel that I am different from everyone else.  After reading this poem for a third time I realized that I needed to open my eyes up.  Langston Hughes refers to a colored boy born in Winston Salem who struggles with his own identity and place in society.  The line that I am not really sure of is when he says, “But I guess I’m what I feel and see and hear.”  What does he mean by this?

After looking back on my daybook writing and the poem itself, I have come to a conclusion that poetry is still very hard for me to read and write about.  I did expand a lot on lot from what I previously wrote in my daybook.  I guess that is why I picked this piece to blog about, so hopefully I can get better at my writing. 

Arin Hall

7 comments:

  1. Hey Arin! I understand your feelings about poetry, especially so early in the morning! Perhaps its irritating complexity simply reflects the entanglement of feelings every person has. Poetry might simply be the writer's way of sorting them out! In the quote you mentioned, I think the author is saying that when we lose sight of our identity, we gradually adopt the labels that others place on us. ...And don't worry about differences! God created you just the way you are, and has a plan for you. Look to Him and He will humble you, but also give you great peace about who you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's it going Arin? First of all I think that your Blog title is way cool because of how simple it is. As I was reading your post titled 'Blog 1. Theme for English B" I couldn't help but feel the same way (pulling hair). In addition, I too struggle with poetry and writing in general, but the beauty of it is there's no right or wrong answer in interpreting a poem, it's all about expression.... and I agree with Lydia "don't worry", you were specially made... There wasn't, is or ever will be some one exactly like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arin, I notice you really grappling with ideas here and your own writer-reader identity. I see you doing that in this really layered way, in your daybook, then in reflection on your process of writing in your daybook, then in a different way as you come back to the text of the poem again and complicate your own first thinking from your daybook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree, poetry is no easy subject and I think it could have multiple meanings. Why couldn't we read like the Cat in the Hat? At least it has pictures. But anyways, I think we all ahve something about ourselves that could be looked down upon with society, but you gotta remember all the good things about yourself too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Arin,
    I also did a blog post on this. I agree with you poetry is not at all easy. When I have a poetry assignment I always feel like I have to make things rhyme, which is not always the case poetry does not have to rhyme. I tried to relate to the poem as well, but it did not seem to work out. Poetry is just a hard subject.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to see how much contrast our class has, because I love poetry! I kind of see your point with being short, but from the opposite perspective. People have always viewed me as a giant and I have red hair so sticking out is one of my natural talents. I like how much emotion you seem to put in your blog and really enjoyed the post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't stand poems either! I feel as though when I'm reading that the author is way smarter than I am. Most of the time I can't grasp the main concept of the poem. When reading a poem, I usually have to read it over several times.

    ReplyDelete